Tuesday, 29 December 2009

35 Degree Christmas

Christmas spent in a hot country is a bizzare experience.  Not a bad one I must add, but strange to see the snowmen painted on windows in a place that has never seen snow, and artificial Christmas trees in a state that is covered thick with palm trees.

This Christmas was spent with a lot of church activity, the youth congregation came over to Martin and Beenas house on Christmas eve, we shared food, carols, and a bit of nutty dancing.  We then headed down to the beach with a brief stop at the 24 hour bakery on the way, after which we headed down to Dona Paula jetty, we did not get back until 4am.

On Christmas day we went to church at 9am, I sat with many of the young people trying our hardest to keep awake, but unfortunately at times, failing.  The latter part of the day, after lunch at a nice restaurant (that served up turkey and pigs in blankets, but they were minus the pigs and so it was basically just a blanket) was spent giving gifts at the childrens homes.  Martin spoke to them about how nice it is to receive gifts, but how much more important it is that we are givers.  These children have very little, and yet each of them took on board the message and vowed to share their smiles and their love with others.  It was a very touching experience to see such joyful faces on Christmas day.

Recently I have been very busy helping the youth to plan for their 31st night program.  Its their holidays and so we have pretty much practiced everyday since Christmas.  Its looking pretty good.  I have been blessed to spend so much time with Stacey and Jaison, and indeed many of the other youth.  I am overwhelmed by God's grace in the situation, and feel that the relationships we are building are truly built in God.  They shared with me that I was different to others they had met from abroad, and that they felt I really wanted to be here and spend time with them.  It impacted me very much and I am certain that after five months with them, I will find it tough to leave.

We have also had some brilliant times of banter and laughter.  Everyday I laugh so much with them.  The other day the boys called me up pretending to be from a call centre complaining I was contacting the UK too much and I needed to pay an extra bill.  Jokers.  I think that was the moment I felt very much part of the group!

I was worried that the cultural difference would cause the biggest issue.  So far, it has not and I am adapting to the language barrier, thats not to say I am learning any Konkani, but they seem to listen more and I am able to understand them much better than before.  Praise God.

I cannot express my gratitude for the blessing of the friendship and hospitality I have been shown. I'm not so sure they appreciate my jokes, but a sympathy laugh is a laugh none the less!

May your last days of 2009 bring you joy and may you look forward to 2010 with great hope for a year filled with God's adventure for your life.

Until next year,
Every blessing x

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.