Wednesday, 2 February 2011

SEHNSUCHT

SEHNSUCHT: German word with no direct translation to English but its meaning: profound homesickness or longing, with transcendent overtones.

Recently, I have had a longing for home.  Today I read the following in a book called, "The Prodigal God" by Timothy Keller...

"Home, then, is a powerful but elusive concept.  The strong feelings that surround it reveal some deep longing within us for a place that absolutely fits and suits us, where we can be, or perhaps find, our true selves....
...The memory of home seems to be powerfully evoked by certain sights, sounds and even smells.  But they can only arouse a desire they can't fulfil."


I am sure then that my longing for home comes from a desire within me to be in those places and memories that conjure up nice and warm feelings, but I know that I will always find my place in the heart of God no matter where I am.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.