
In early December I will once again venture off to Goa, India. This will be my fourth time of going out to this amazing place.
I am going to work alongside Pastor Martin Philip & his wife Beena at the New India Church of God. I will be helping to formalise the youth ministry and develop a community of young people who are driven to serve and love God wholeheartidly.
This journey began back in 2005 when I worked with Martin & Beena at their childrens home Bethesda Life Centre (BLC). Goa is an incredible place, but more incredible than the place are the people that I encountered and built relationships with. It is the love and compassion of God in the very people of Goa that has drawn me back.
When I began training as a youth worker, I felt that I should go to Goa when my studies were complete to work with Martin and Beena with the young people of their church. Slowly over time I lost this thought and desire, but this year, it hit me slap bang in the face again and I was given the opportunity and clear call to go, and so that is what I am doing. I will be there for only five months, but who knows what will happen.
I am struck as I sit and write this by some words that came up during my dissertation.
"How you see the world, depends on where you sit." (Fisher, R. & Ury, W. 2007)
I go to Goa, with a heart that desires deeply to love, and see others through the eyes of Christ. I know that this experience will be amazing, but I also know that I can stumble and seek only my own agenda. I ask that you would pray I am able to sit among the young people and meet them where they are, and that in doing so, I can help to build up a youth ministry that is relevant and fruitful, a ministry that radiates the love and grace of God to all who come into contact with it.
Every blessing.
Soph x

No comments:
Post a Comment
Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.